Thursday, December 6, 2007

So I've come to the conclusion that I'm an inherently lazy person who can't sit still. Or perhaps I'm really active at heart but I love to lounge? Either way, this contradiction presents itself when I discover that some part of me really wants to train, to become a better, stronger athlete, and yet I can't seem to shut the TV off. And I'm writing this in my super comfy Bowdoin sweatpants that I seem to live in these days, drinking a good beer and yet feeling completely twitchy and full of the energy I should have expended running today. I just can't seem to do it. I find all kinds of excuses, some of them valid, but the excuses are never enough to drown out the image I have of myself, or to dampen that feeling of exhileration I get when I finish a race. So what to do? How do I overcome this internal contradiction? I keep telling myself that after this or that random future event, then I'll buckle down and get serious. Why not now? The other day I found out that I may need surgery and rather than accepting it and prepping for it, my first thought was that the expense would keep me from doing my 1/2 Iron tri. Twisted, I know. You'd think that in itself would get me on the treadmill or in the pool, if the desire is that strong. Instead I feel stuck in limbo. Maybe it's denial that my body is letting me down--if I don't exercise, I won't notice. But when I don't train, I feel like I'm succumbing to weakness. Again with the contradiction. Anyway, thoughts for the night...

3 comments:

Scott DeWire said...

For me, the first step is the hardest. If I can just get my workout clothes on and get out the door, it's all downhill from there. So, I make the first steps automatic. Alarm goes off, just get up and get the clothes on, don't even think about it. Ten minutes into the workout I'm thanking myself.

Jessica Rice said...

That's good advice. I need to make the switch to morning workouts as well I think. Then there's no excuse. Timberman sold out before I could register. Know of any other races I can do?

Gib and Abby Brogan said...

Yeah Right, Lazy. That not really the first word that comes to mind when I think of you. I don't know but you sound kinda normal to me. I say this as I sit here in my sweatpants that I fulling intend to wear all day today and possibly to bed. See, normal.

Abby