Friday, May 30, 2008

Brrrr!!

All I can say right now is that I'm grateful for the choices I've made in my life that have gotten me to this point, a place where I can safely and comfortably say that 55 degree water really isn't that cold. And that the face-numbing chill, really isn't that bad. After 7 years of open water diving, it's also nice that putting on a wetsuit takes me significantly less time than the average individual. Oh those poor souls who've only been training in indoor, 80 degree pools...they're in for a rough morning in t-minus 9 days and counting. Of course, these are the same individuals who, following the shock of the cold water, will most likely proceed to blow me away on the bike, so my pity is limited. But yes, I'm now in the home stretch and to be perfectly honest, I'm looking forward to writing that post that says "I did it!" I'm generally able to keep my nerves at bay but I have moments where I actually think that I'm going to be competitive, and those moments are usually followed by outright panic. More often, I recognize that I'm doing this race at this point simply for bragging rights. When I get that perspective then I think it's no big deal and it will just be fun. I much prefer that latter state of mind. And to help that, I've probably taken more time off than is strictly reasonable, but I figure if I'm just not looking forward to a particular training session, at this point there's no need to push it. Maybe this is my body's way of telling me to take it easy. Who knows. But I took enough time off to enjoy my Vegas vacation, and yet stayed active enough to combat that sense of losing fitness due to tapering (which is unfortunately coinciding with a peak in my metabolism). I consider my Vegas week to be high and dry training so I ran a bunch in my second favorite running locale after Boston. There was no biking to be done however so now after over a week off the bike, my phobia of riding has returned and I find myself making excuses not to go. Not good, I know. But I'm a tough chick, I think I'll pull through. I'll find out one way or another in a little over a week. Eek!!
It's strange though that after all the training I've put in since February, I still don't feel like I think an Ironman (or half) should. I don't feel like I'm in the best shape of my life and I have to wonder if since my first marathon (when I did feel that way) I've just kept myself in better overall fitness, thereby raising the bar. In other words, I don't feel different because I'm just overall in better shape than I was three years ago before beginning my adventures as an endurance athlete. I hope that's the case anyway.

1 comment:

Rebecca DeWire said...

Hi Jess,
Sounds like you are both mentally and physically ready for your big day. I am really excited for you since your first 1/2 IM is a day that you will never forget. We were talking to Scott Ellis last night and he told us about the weather for race day. I can't believe that it is going to be 90 for your race. It is very, very challenging to race in those type of conditions and you will have to pay extra careful attention to your nutrition. Make sure that you take in a lot of salt! You are going to sweat a lot and you will need to either drink something like Gatorade EF (endurance formula) or even consider taking E-caps. Scott has had trouble with not enough salt and then getting bad cramps.
I feel like I am now writing the longest comment ever. I probably should have just sent a regular email. Can't wait to hear about your race.
Rebecca