Monday, May 5, 2008

Things I've Learned

I intended to save this kind of a post for the end of my half iron journey, but in light of last week's panic, I think it's time to take stock of what I've gained from this adventure thus far. Besides, this was all that was going through my mind on today's ride.

1. Eating a banana on a bike is a lot harder than I thought it would be, but is a great, easily digestible snack that isn't energy gel.

2. After only 3 rides outside in the last week on my new bike, I can feel pretty comfortable saying that I'm getting stronger already.

3. I hit the panic button way too soon (see above).

4. Most drivers don't know how to handle a biker on the road, choosing to wait and follow, hoping for some engraved invitation to pass, prompting me to think that they're only staring at my ass.

5. I'm at the point where I can say that today I only rode 30 miles.

6. Despite these gains in biking strength, it remains my weakest link, an extremely surprising turn of events considering that until a year ago, I couldn't swim more than 3 or 4 lap without stopping for a break. I can comfortably and pretty easily swim a mile already.

7. After years of sprinting, I think I'm a full fledged distance runner. Friday's brick of 30/4, I averaged 7:55 per mile, without trying to.

8. The bike to run transition is quite possibly one of the most awkward sensations I've had athletically, topping every crazy yoga pose I know. There's just no other way to say it, it sucks! But it does go away after a mile or so and some stretching.

9. Two pomegranete martinis the night before a 40/5 brick isn't the wisest decision, hence the reason today was only 30 miles, followed by some physics, room cleaning, and hopefully, early to bed. I definitely lack willpower sometimes, but I'm learning to be flexible with my schedule and listen to my body. It's better to swap the brick for later in the week and avoid another bout of gastritis.

10. I may never be an Ironman triathlete, but I'm becoming more and more impressed with myself and my relatively late start at this event. And, I garner quite a bit of awe and respect from the kids I go to school with. I'm definitely the hot older woman...

Well, that's a partial list for now. Things have definitely improved since my last post. I've done a couple of "positive reinforcement rides", rides as flat as I can find, just to feel like I'm getting somewhere. And I've come up with a much better training strategy I think, one that should allow me to do some challenging rides and yet still feel accomplished. And, with a few minor adjustments (like my trusty old bike seat, the Liberator) and some actual fuel on the bike, I can do my 30 miles in about an hour and a half, which was where I'd hoped to be. I still have yet to really learn the lesson that this isn't, or shouldn't be, about time but more about the experience and the sense of accomplishment, but I'm getting there. I'm just way too competitive with myself. If I weren't, I probably wouldn't push myself so much and I still be working for the aquarium...

3 comments:

GoQuinnGo! said...

Your trusty "Liberator" sounds like something else.......

Miss you!
Kristin

Jessica Rice said...

I know! That's why I love my seat...at least the name of the seat :)

Scott DeWire said...

Hmmm..I too thought the liberator was something else...a pillow people used for bumping uglies...
http://www.liberator.com/