Friday, June 20, 2008

Whirlwind

My thanks again to those who managed to plow through my recent post on the half, and sorry again for the length.

Life has gotten very crazy for me in the past week, as if it wasn't going full tilt prior. I started my gross anatomy class for grad school, so in addition to moving to Boston and meeting 42 new classmates, I'm now engrossed in the most academically rigorous class of my life and everything that I used to recognize as normal has completely disappeared, including training. I have been so pumped up post half to do another one, and went so far as to find one in Rhode Island in September, but since I now start studying at 6:30 in the morning and usually wrap up at 11pm, fitting in a workout has become almost impossible for me. I hope that once I settle into a routine I'll find the time again, but I know it will not be consistent, so I do believe that another half this year is off the table. I'm hopeful that I'll get some shorter distance races in because I think I could be so much stronger this year than I was last, but I'm not making any plans yet. At this point, my day consists of trying to remember if I've brushed my teeth, eaten, showered (post dissection, yes), and gotten all my work done.

Why do I bring all this up? Well, last week I finally got back in the saddle (literally and figuratively) but doing the swim portion of an unofficial mini-triathlon, a run around the river, and a really nice long ride, all last weekend, and I was fairly twitching with the excitement of the three sport race. I can't wait to do another race, to feel that rush of excitement, overwhelming nerves, and the thrill of the accomplishment as I cross the finish line. Even the mini tri I went to had me pumped and wishing I'd brought my bike and running shoes (I placed second in the swim, just behind a good friend from college who actually taught me how to swim--he wasn't pleased to see me catching up to him!). There's something about the tri that speaks to me. It's different from a marathon, and no less thrilling, but I think the tri is more for me. At least that's how I want to identify myself, as a triathlete...who also runs marathons. Maybe I feel the potential for improvement, or maybe it's really just a simple as the fun that I have in the race. Whatever the reason, I can't wait to get back out there, whenever it may happen.

On a final note, it's time for me to say goodbye to the general, the trusty touring bike that has carried my so many miles in the last 7 years. After nearly parting with him when I upgraded to my racing bike, I retired him to being my commuter bike here in Boston, a role he only filled a handful of times before some absolute wanker stole him off the bike rack at school. I'm bummed, and angry at this individual, and know that I won't see the bike again, but what gets me the most is that whoever took it will have no appreciation for what he and I have been through together. This thief will hop on the bike and discover the stretched chain and worn cogs, the brake handles that rattle and the handlebar wrapping that's peeling away and will most likely strip the bike of all that's valuable (pretty much just the seat) and leave the frame behind. It's not how I wanted that bike to be retired and that just saddens me. Additionally, my Mooseman water bottle, handed to me as I crossed the finish line and only obtained because I completely the race, is now in the hands of someone so less worthy. So to the general, goodbye, and thanks for all the miles.





3 comments:

Rebecca DeWire said...

I am really sorry to hear about the fate of your touring bike. They should have at least left you your Mooseman waterbottle!

Your description of triathlon (the nerves, the excitement..) is totally how I feel. I just got all pumped up reading it and I have yet to find anything else in life that makes me feel so alive.

GoQuinnGo! said...

Sorry to hear about your bike, Jess. Mary says that if it would cheer you up you can come ride her Disney Princess tricycle anytime you want.

Kristin

Steph and Dan said...

Like everyone else, I'm sorry about your bike. What a jerk.