Thursday, April 24, 2008

Road to Recovery

Well, it's been an unpleasant week, but I do believe I've turned a corner. Thank you to those who encouraged me to rest since I'm not good at doing that without help. Although this week even if I'd wanted to, there would have been no way I could push myself. I'm a little nervous about the lost time but I recognize that it was mostly out of my control and I can only move forward. I say mostly since I did figure out my own culpability in the sudden onset. A week ago it was still classic spring here--upper 40s, low 50s for the most part. I was expecting the gradual build up to warmer temperatures that we usually get so I guess I could say I was caught a little unprepared when on Friday I did my brick and it was 80. That night at work I drank 2 liters of water and could have easily downed more. Saturday morning I biked to work, hydrated fairly well, and then biked 32 miles after work. Then I got dumb and drank no water but mojitos instead (it was summery!). I think the combination was more than my body could handle so from this point forward I will make a more concerted effort to hydrate well (as soon as I can drink water again) and avoid those things that my body clearly doesn't like (alcohol, coffee, :( ). But luckily for me between the race entrance fee, the new bike, the new wetsuit and after today, the new bike shoes and cleats, I will have spent about $1000 on this quest, and as I'm unemployed for the next three years, that's much more impressive, and scary. And I'm so cheap, I'll get my ass to the starting line no matter what it takes. So for today, one more day of taking easy, doing some yoga and hopefully eating and drinking more normally, and then tomorrow, on the road again.

And one final note, the real benefit to this sudden burst of heat and summer--perhaps the lake my tri is on will be thawed by June 8th. I rode past it for the first time on Saturday and was psyched to find that the roads were pretty mellow, not to bumpy with frost heaves, and the lake was beautiful...but a little odd looking. And then I realized, 80 degrees and still frozen. Like 90% covered with ice. It's going to be a cold swim!

No comments: