Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Slacker!

It was recently pointed out to me just how much of a slacker I've been with this blog. I guess that's a good sign that at least one person is reading it :) But I was trying to figure out why it seems so difficult for me to sit down and do this. Is it that I think no one's reading? Well, that shouldn't matter, it's supposed to be a way for me to organize my thoughts. Is it that nothing's happened? Well, no there as well. I've been training and skiing and gearing up to move to Boston. I also can't claim that I've been too busy since I don't really work anymore and my classes are a joke. Is the answer that I'm just lazy? I doubt that. What I came up with is that every time I feel inspired to share what I'm thinking, it's when I'm running. Or swimming. Or biking. But typically while running, I feel the most inspired, the most creative, and the most in control of my life (I obviously only want to share the good parts). Problem is, by the time I get home from a day of class, work, training, get my shower and some dinner, I've generally forgotten what sounded so inspiring in my mind and anything else I come up with sounds contrived. What I take to be the good news for me here though is that for a long time now, running has not been fun. It's been a struggle to get ready, a struggle to get warmed up, and even while I was out, I felt very little joy. That's really disappointed me since running used to clear everything up. But I think I've finally come back to a place where not only does my body need to run, it wants to. The other day I found myself trying to talk myself out of running because I didn't feel %100, instead of the other way around. I think that's a step in the right direction.
There's also been a little bit of difficulty for me deciding what to write. I think it's awfully boring to use this as my training log, recapping numbers and mileage and times from the week. Who wants to read that? On the other hand, I tend to be way overanalytical and that's no fun either! Instead, I've tossed around blog ideas such as "thank god for the existence of energy gels" and "it's all downhill after spring break". But again, those ideas were strong while I was running and faded quickly afterwards. If only there was a way to record my thoughts...Anyway, as an update for those few out there who might have added this to their blogs to be read list, classes are winding down up here and despite myself, I'm going to miss it. Maybe I'll just miss living here, but I think some people made an impression on me and that's always hard to say goodbye to. Training is going well although the magnitude of this decision is beginning to weigh on me (can I really do a 1/2 Iron??). I bought a tri wetsuit and I'm getting a road bike, so I'll no longer be the outcast in the transition area. And I'm getting psyched to move to Boston, although that too has it's daunting aspects (but I'll save that for another post...)

6 comments:

Steph and Dan said...

Yay yay yay for posting. I think you'll really really really love Boston. You already have friends there and awesome things on the horizon. So just treat getting a place to live there like your pre req for the next part of your awesome life. Love you. Sorry I had to cut you short the other night. I will try you again soon.

Steph

GoQuinnGo! said...

I read your blog too, so thanks for the update! I don't keep in touch with you as often as I should, so it's nice to have this window into your world.

I can't wait to see what your time in Boston brings you! I love Boston - I went to college in Boston for three days myself, so let me know if I can lend you any advice! LOL!

GoQuinnGo! said...

That last comment was from Kristin...sorry!

Rebecca DeWire said...

Thanks for restarting your blog! I found it very entertaining. I love your comment about being the outcast in the transition area. That is classic! I think it is a right of passage in triathlon to feel like that due to gear that is initially sub par.

Also, I am starting my own blog about returning to triathlon after a baby. I found myself constantly having these one-sided conversations while on the computrainer and decided that it might feel good to get some of my thoughts out. Even if I am the only one who benefits from my journaling, that is fine with me. I only have one post so far http://rebeccadewire.blogspot.com/

Rebecca DeWire said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott DeWire said...

You're back on the blogging horse! Hooray! I enjoy your blog. Its very thoughtfully written and introspective.

I agree, coming up with topics is tough. Nobody wants to read mileages (ever notice I hardly ever mention them?, wink wink!), or hear about how a Gu saved your butt on your long ride. But, I have found that there are lots of little things about our sport(s) that can be very entertaining. Wait until you see the post I have coming up!